Come Show Support for Regional Health Tonight, 6:30pm in Easton


This is a reminder that the important meeting of the Lehigh Valley Health Commission — at which county legislators from Lehigh and Northampton Counties will be voting to move forward on the bi-county health department — is TONIGHT (July 19) at 6:30 p.m. in County Council Chambers at the Northampton County Courthouse, 669 Washington Street in Easton [map].

Community support for this effort is strong, as evidenced by the recently-approved $500,000 grant from the Two Rivers Health & Wellness Foundation for the proposed regional health department. This grant is contingent on the approval of the plan and budget for the department by the counties’ legislators. A Morning Call op-ed by Dr. David Lyon and Ilene Prokup of the Lehigh Valley Board of Health focuses on the details of the proposed budget, including the fact that, as it stands, the counties’ investment will be only 10% of the full health department budget, with private grants and state funds leveraged for the remaining 90%.

It is important for community members to attend and show their support. Show up tonight to offer brief remarks (during Public Comment) as to why the elected officials should approve the Lehigh Valley Health Department.

If you are unable to attend, we ask that you contact your county representatives to urge them to support the Lehigh Valley Health Department. Visit our Contact Your Elected Official page.

This department will provide many essential services that are not available uniformly throughout the Lehigh Valley — services such as timely and frequent restaurant inspections, access to flu vaccines, inspections of public pools and child-care facilities, and education regarding nutrition and exercise. For more information, visit RenewLV’s Regional Health Initiative page.

About Beata Bujalska

Beata Bujalska is the former Campaign Coordinator for Renew Lehigh Valley. She currently lives in Panama, a place that fascinates her due to (among other reasons) its recent development boom.

Posted on July 19, 2010, in Events, Health, Municipal Government, Regions and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: